Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Old Media Tuesday...a.k.a. You Oughta Know...now known as "All Consuming"

One of my New Year's Resolutions, (yes there were resolutions made and yes, I'll be sharing them) is to keep track of everything I consume.
Well, not everything.
Not like how many Pringles I eat, but in a music/movie/tv show/book/and even recipe type of way.
And in case you think I'm weird, well whatever. At least I know I'm not the only one that feels the need to keep track of things like this and to prove it you can take a look at allconsuming.net. It's a website for people like me who continue to think up ways to make lists, keep track, alpha by order and waste time. You can find me there under justagirlon66. But I have a feeling the notebook in the living room will be more up to date.

Having shared another of my many quirks...here's some items I've found worth consuming and invite you to have a look:
You oughta see:
Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport
This is a moving documentary about the Kindertransport which saved the lives of 10,000 children during WWII. It shows the stories of the children and the parents who made the sacrifice of sending their children away in order to ultimately save their lives from the horrors to come. The interviews and stories are fascinating and emotionally moving. There is so much we will never know about this time in history.
You oughta hear:
ABBA Gold
Greatest Hits
Feel what you will about ABBA and the era of music they thrived in, but no one can deny that they knew how to put out the POP. All of their songs have the same sound, yet each is very different due to the insane power riffs of the piano/keyboards and those power vocals. And if you really want to hear and see some eye candy go to youtube and watch the close up edits on the Mama Mia video esp. :035-1:10. As Muriel would say "this is as good as the Dancing Queen."
You oughta read:
Jukebox America:
Down Back Streets and Blue Highways in Search of the Country's Greatest Jukebox.
William Bunch is a soul brother. The book is a travelogue of his trek across America in search of the "Juke of the Covenant," the ultimate jukebox and collection of 45's. Although Jukeboxes haven't been on my search list, I certainly appreciate them whenever I find them and would consider them part of what I would look for on a road trip. His jukebox quest, is my Mom and Pop neon Motel or Diner quest. But there is so much more involved to his journey. As he travels across America, he realizes that he is about 10-20 years too late in his search and that is where I felt like I knew what he was going to say before I read it. He classifies himself as (listen Ed, this is what you alluded to in one of your comments) "A Rearguard Baby Boomer:" Kids who were at the end of the Boomer generation and the beginning of the Busters. For everything that made the 50's the 50's and the 60's the 60's we were always running behind, too young, missing something. I was glad to travel with him and even more glad to know that there are others like me that are driven (literally) to search for the ultimate "find" all the while contemplating the history of a place that may no longer exist, but in our minds.

Directions to here:
Stay tuned for "you oughta make." Recipes that I've made and recommend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welp.. guess I'm going to have to pick that up!
Thanks
:)

Whit and Dave and Enola said...

Nance,
I LOVE ABBA! ABBA Gold is my favorite, but there are some fantastic songs on More ABBA Gold. You can't deny great lyrics like "When I Kissed the Teacher!" So fun!