Friday, January 28, 2011

Flashback Friday...It's a small world after all.

I've always read Verna and Shel's blogs.

But since James, Shel and Eliza have been in Korea,  I have really enjoyed reading and watching both blogs, along with Shel's Facebook picture posts.

Shel has always done a great job posting lots of pics and since going overseas, it has made us feel like she is right next door instead of half the globe away.

When Shel came home for her visit, it was great to see their reunion posted on Verna's blog and that because of Skype, Eliza knew and remembered her Nana and reached out for her on sight.
It was even more great to see Shel and Eliza in person at Sunday dinner.

Watching Shel and James have their going away party, packing, saying goodbyes, and going on this venture has reminded me of another young kid, who took off into the wild blue yonder some 23 plus years ago.





Leaving home to go to Romania
At the airport
Saying goodbye and boarding the plane.
Watching Mike and especially Verna has made me realize even more what my Dad and especially my Mom went thru the year that their baby was an ocean away.
When I went overseas there was no email, no cell phones, no internet, and to make things worse, I was in a Communist country where we were likely to be followed, watched and listened to while calling on payphones and have our mail read. Fortunatly, one of the guys on our team was on a scholarship and we could send and receive letters that wouldn't be read thru the American Embassy.

Needless to say it was a long year.
And lots of days, Home felt a million miles away.
London, Paris, Rome......Lowell.
I know, as do all involved, that no matter how easy it is to communicate...
that when you are homesick, sick or just plain tired of being away...nothing can take the place of being HOME.
But...man...Skype, email, facebook and blogs...sure do help in easing the distance.
Just the fact that Eliza reached out to Verna, is worth it's weight in bandwidth and the cost of computer gear and the frustration of figuring it all out.

I have marveled and continue to be amazed at how crazy different the world is post internet. Turns out Disney had it right, "It is a small world afterall."

I wish for my Mom's sake, that all this technology would have been available for her.
I think it would have saved her a lot of worrying, gray hairs and weight loss.
I too, came home mid point for a break.
Before I got home, I started warning mom that I had lost a lot of weight. I flew into Midway at night and while I was still on the plane, I saw Dad thru the airport window. But as I came thru the gate, I could not believe what I saw when I looked at my Mom. I had thought they would be worried about the weight I lost, no one warned me about how much weight Mom had lost! I know it was a hard year for her and I regret the time away from her and the hours she must have spent worrying. 

I learned a lot during my time overseas. I am a different person for having lived in a different culture.
I'm still glad I did it, but there is nothing that can replace the time that is lost from not being with the ones you love. I wish I had that time back with my parents.

I am glad James and Shel are getting this experience and they too, will be different people for having living overseas. 

But I am sure glad that the world has gotten smaller and that all this amazing technology is letting them be where they need to be and serve where they need to serve, and yet, be "Home" with us at the same time. (even if it is just on our computer screens : )


3 comments:

Hosh said...

Wonderful Nancy! It reminds my how we all need to make every moments special when we are with my families. I feel I never do enough of That! And it it reminds me that I am content not nessarily moving far way away for things that are less important than family.

nancy said...

Sarah -
Kirsten just said to me the other night...
"don't you think it's weird that out of all the places keynote could have moved, that it was to Indiana, so close to your family?" (back in the early 90's when we moved from california).

I said no..."it makes perfect sense to me."
she said "why"

I said "because God knew my mom had less time than any of us realized and that I needed to be near her."

momv <>< + said...

nanc, i don't even know what to say! sitting here with tears dropping on my keyboard, it has been absolutely wonderful to have them back here with us... for a bit....and i too never knew how hard it was for your mom and dad, now i know!!!