Friday, May 24, 2013

Flashback Friday...Remembering The Things He Carried

There is a book about Vietnam called "The Things They Carried."
I see this book often.
I have never read this book, but the title makes me pause every time I see it come across the counter at work.

I imagine the title could mean many things for someone who is serving, or has served our country.

The "Things They Carried" could be the gear they carry.
It could be the orders they carry out.
It could be the personal things, letters, photos from home, or good luck charms they carry.
It could be one or all of these things.

When I see this book title, I think of my Dad and the things he carried during the war.

My Dad wrote this letter to his brother after being released from a  German P.O.W. Camp.
When I read this letter, I find myself thinking about the things they carried. 
And, I reread that last line...

"...but I hope to get back home soon, 
then we will celebrate and I can forget some of the past
I hope."

But I know he never really forgot.
And knowing this, makes that book title take on a new meaning.
For the things they carried....were never really put down.
For no matter how much they tried, how much hope they had, no matter what they did to forget, no matter, even, how good their lives turned out to be (and they knew they were the lucky ones), no matter what...

they carried those things for the rest of their lives.


So, here, on this Memorial Day,
it is an honor to remember what my dad spent a life time trying to forget.

Dad, we will never comprehend the things you carried during and after the War.

We can only say "Thank You, Dad for carrying them. "


Directions to here:

My Dad never spoke of the things he carried until much later in his life.
By the time he and we were old enough and open enough to help him carry these burdens, we had so little time left.
If you know someone who carries a similar burden, give them an open door to tell you about what they carry. If they don't want to talk about it, let them know the door is always open. Chances are they will spare you the unimaginable and unexplainable details...that in truth, only they and those who were there understand, but hopefully will appreciate that you stand with them....and offer "hope."

3 comments:

Susie Hilsman said...

Wow. That is beautiful, Nancy.

Emily Cook said...

beautiful post. perfect for today. Thanks, nancy.

momv <>< + said...

thank you nancy, i think it is the things they carry after that are the hardest. just my opinion
God bless our veterans!