Friday, March 21, 2008

Flashback Friday...The Easter Donkey

As far as I remember, Easter Sundays were pretty traditional in our family.
Easter baskets were hid by the Easter Bunny
(well, at least I remember mine was, I suppose the brothers and sisters were too old by the time I came along)
and the sleep from the sandman was still in my eyes as I stumbled thru the house in a mad dash to find the basket and the candy.
Pretty traditional.
Once the basket was found, that's were we parted with tradition.
It seems the Easter Bunny wasn't the only one up to tricks on our Easter Sunday.
I remember searching for colored aluminum chocolate eggs and finding them all over the living room.
I don't know why it was there or where it came from, it seems it may have been a souvenior from somewhere, but there was a rather small iron Donkey that sat on or near the TV.
What made it so strange was, it amazingly laid chocolate egg after chocolate egg.
I would find one there and turn to put it in my basket and upon coming back to it, would be amazed to find another egg.
Apparantly, I didn't catch on very quickly and everyones laughter just made me think they were just as amazed as I was.
Turns out they were not laughing with me, but at me and my gullible 3, 4, 5 and 6 year old self.
Of course, I, still to this day prefer to believe that the Easter Donkey really did lay the eggs, but the look on my Dad's face may tell us who the real egg layer was!
Directions to here:
Do you remember the donkey?
Where did it come from and who started this odd but fun tradition?

1 comment:

Big Papa said...

I didn't know where you were going with the title The Easter Donkey, but after seeing the picture with that look on your face as you go back towards the donkey for another egg really brings back those memories. Look at Dad with a suit on. That was about as rare of an occurrence as a donkey laying eggs.
Great post Nancy, thanks for igniting those memories.