Friday, November 12, 2010

Flashback Friday...the meaning behind the meal.

I can't count the number of meals that I sat down to eat at this table.

And after sharing our version of comfort food and what we thought was normal everyday food, I found out that "normal" people think meals in the Vandercar kitchen were a little odd.

Okay, well, whatever.
But, I will admit there was one combination that even though I loved, I never really understood how the two went together. It was the nights we would have grilled cheese and homemade cocoa made on the stove.

Mom would use velveeta for the sandwiches and try as I might, I can never get it to be as gooey and smooth as hers. She would make hot chocolate on the stove and all I remember is a lot of stirring and that it tasted sooooo much better than any mix out of packet ever could.

I was always a little grossed out, cause Dad would take his grilled cheese and dip it in the cocoa.

But, I guess, with all the other combinations of food we had, I never thought to ask why we were the only ones that I ever knew of that ate these two things together.

Fast forward to 2001.
My mom has been gone for 2 years and I'm beginning to see how the rest of my life is going to be. The older I get, the more questions I have. Not big ones. Just simple ones. Where did you get this watch? Why did you say this phrase (Home again, Hooligan)? Who gave you that plate? Some questions so simple that only she would ever know the answer to.

I am interviewing and video taping my dad for his 80th birthday video. He answers most questions by shrugging his shoulders and nodding yes or no...real captivating material! We are talking about his time as a POW. He as usual, does not have much to say. He tells me what they ate. He tells me that they slept on wood bunks and shared blankets. He tells me about a radio that they hid in the latrine. I ask him what the May 8th was like, the day that the war ended. He tells me that they woke up and all the Germans were gone and the gates were open. He tells everyone wanted to go across the street to a barn where they knew the Germans were stockpiling Red Cross packages, but everyone was afraid that it was a trap or a trick that the Germans were playing. He tells me that the trucks come and give them the good news that the War is over. He tells me that they were given their first real meal and they all thought they would eat and eat and eat, but they could hardly finish one sandwich cause their stomachs had shrunk so much. I ask him what they were fed. He tells me "grilled cheese and hot cocoa."

Ding.
The dime drops.
I have a huge smile.
The strange combination finally makes sense.
For as long as they were married, my mom lovingly made and fed my dad the Victory Meal that reminded him of one of the happiest days of his life.Dad with fellow POW's
I believe this is at the camp that they were sent to after their release...to rest and recover.

So, I thought on this day after Veteran's Day and 2 days after their anniversary, it was a good time to make me a little grilled cheese and learn how to make hot cocoa on the stove.

It tasted just like home.

Directions to here:
How did mom make the cheese so much more gooey?
And yes, that is a plate from your childhood.

11 comments:

momv <>< + said...

thanks for sharing that story nancy, tears here in lafayette!

Brandi Morris said...

Sweet story.

For the gooey grilled cheese, the secret is melting the cheese very, very slowly. (A smidge of butter inside won't hurt either. :-)


For the very best hot chocolate: use half and half or even whipping cream (evil, I know. but the best foods are) + melted chocolate.

Ozark Uncle said...

Volunteered at a nonprofit thrift store all day, and I just rewarded myself with a margarita and nachos. Felt pretty good about that repast until reading your blog--now, I'm wishing so much for grilled cheese and hot cocoa, instead. The WWII veterans I've known (few are left) were the greatest Americans. My hat is removed for all of them plus Nam vets who took my place in that conflict. I'm a cousin of Lisa C.

Big Papa said...

I would never have thought to ask that question. Just like prayers sometimes they go unanswered for a while, then all of a sudden the answer comes and really hits home. Glad that someone in the family has and can share those memories and answers with us.
Thanks Nancy.

nancy said...

good comparison Brother Mike!

james and michele said...

just now saw this...love it.

thanks for sharing!

james and michele said...

and i always think of grandma when i open a packet of cocoa since it was standard trick-or-treating handout there. :)

Cori said...

Just came back to this entry, it still gets me choked up. I agree with Shel, I still remember getting hot cocoa and popcorn balls on Halloween at Aunt Helen and Uncle Bob's place :)

Ed said...

Great telling of an awesome story Nance.

Deb said...

Love this! Will always think of this when I have my grilled cheese....maybe I'll even make hot choclate on the stove in honor of your dad. He was a great guy.

Denise said...

We still have Aunt Helen's wonderful green stove. Will never forget my favorite holiday "Halloween" Popcorn balls at Aunt Helen's, Taffy Apples at Grandma Vandercars then headed to cousin Susie for Rice Krispies. So many memories.