Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ruby Tuesday...

To borrow a phrase from Sister Susie....

"It's not Strange..."

Well, maybe a little.
Ok. Maybe it is strange, but I'm glad I don't mind being strange.

I'm talking about going to a funeral for someone I have never met.

Have you ever done that?

I was headed up to Lowell for Garland's funeral anyway, so I decided to just come up a day early and go to Marcia's service as well.

In the time that I had figured out who she was and how we were related, I had talked to Ruby and heard her memories of Marcia and her family. She called Marcia's dad, Uncle Lew and had fond memories of going to their house and ice skating on Red Wing Lake.

I did a search on the Lowell Library site and found an article about Marcia's dad (our Great Uncle) and the various work and businesses he owned. One of them mentioned a Fox Farm on Red Wing Lake, which I read was on Holtz Road.

Now, here is where I fail as a historian and a memory keeper. Being the youngest and having moved away from Lowell, forgive me, but I did not know that there was a lake on Holtz Road. I asked Susie if she knew where Red Wing Lake was on Holtz Road and she gave me her "uh, yaaah." response.

So, Marcia inherited, Red Wing Lake...yes THAT lake on Holtz road that everyone in Lowell knows about except for me. I then figured out that it is next door to where Mrs. Hoshaw lived and that Marcia owned the mobile homes that were lined up on Holtz Road and she was Blanche's landlord. I learned from Mike, that Marcia's mom started working at Hardings when she was in her 60's and worked there several years, well into her 80's, I believe.

I went to her funeral service, expecting a small, short service.
I don't know what compelled me...other than the need to represent our family and to pay my respects and honor her in her passing, since I had not met her while living.

It was a little strange, but oh, my goodness, I am SO glad I went.

It was a small crowd.
I recognized only a couple faces.
She had been cremated, so there was just a picture up near a floral arrangements.
There were a couple cousins in town from out of State and I believe, a nephew who spoke.
And a lady named Roberta Thomas gave the Eulogy.

I understand that Roberta was first a family friend, I believe a neighbor and later, also had Marcia for a patient.
She gave a wonderful tribute to Marcia.
Starting from the very beginning of her life, all the way to her last moments on her deathbed, she told Marcia's story, with facts, tenderness, humor and love.
What a gift!
When I left I felt as if I really knew Marcia.
I went in very sad that I had not met her. Very sad that I would never know her or her story.
I left her service, feeling as tho I DID know her.
Still, sad that I did not get to meet her and hear these stories from her, but I was very, very glad I went.

So, even tho it is a little Strange, I'm glad that Strange does not keep me from doing what my heart tells me to do.
I'm glad I went and can now say that I feel I know Marcia...and as a long lost cousin can introduce her to you, here....and hopefully honor her life and her memory.

and That's not Strange.

Marcia AShurte
94, of Lowell, IN, passed away Friday, June 8, 2012 at Lowell Health Care Center. She is survived by cousins, Mary Ann (Jack) Kelly and Jim Burroughs, both of Sun City West, AZ and longtime friends Ernest and Jean Hausmann, Roberta Thomas, Paul Ackerman and their families. She was preceded in death by her lifelong friend, Elma "Johnnie" Johnson. Marcia was a 1936 graduate of Lowell High School, receiving her Bachelor's Degree from Ball State University and Master's Degree from University of IL; she was a retired Teacher from Crystal Lake, IL School System. Marcia was very giving to friends and family. She donated to many charitable organizations and was known for her kindness. Cremation will precede Visitation, July 6th from 10-11, concluding with a Memorial Service at 11AM, all at Sheets Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 604 E. Commercial Ave. in Lowell. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be given to, Roberta Thomas, 625 Gatewood Dr. in Lowell for the Lowell Health Care Center Garden Beautification Program. 



Directions to here: 

Go here to see more pictures of Marcia's life.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I've missed you postings.. Are you sharing your stories somewhere else?