Thursday, August 30, 2007

"whatta ya gonna do with that?"..#3

Tractor Steering Wheel........Peace Sign

Why?

I don't know why. But I do know that I really like steering wheels. The older the better. I've been looking for a steering wheel from a 50's or 60's car with lots of chrome or maybe bakelite. This wheel is from, maybe Kansas? Not even sure which trip, but I can tell you where it was hanging on the wall when I saw it...and that it reminded me of my dad and the farming he did on the side of an already long work week.

And I was right there, on the fender (no kid seats, air conditioning or cd players back then) of the the tractor taking a ride thru the field, keeping my eyes peeled for arrowheads which I NEVER found. (But my dad could spot them a mile away).
If you look closely, it even looks like this may have been handmade by a farmer...it looks like a garden hose to me that's been hardened and welded into a steering wheel. And just in case steering wheels don't appeal to you, how about that big peace sign? That's always a good sign to take and to give.

Directions to here:
Hail to the Family farm, Farmers! You are the American Heartland and I am proud to know you!

2 comments:

Big Papa said...

Turn the tractor around and head it in towards the garage, put a black walnut tree like the ones in the background across the crumpled fender, seat,and broken the steering wheel (which by the way looked a lot like the one you have)and that is one of the pictures Uncle Wayne saw the morning after the big windstorm in August of (I think) 1967ish.

For more of this story go to http://www.xanga.com/papavandercar

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
If I dig around in my "Museum" I think I can come up with one or two of the large Pepsi caps like on the sign above the station. They are pretty scratched up and the paint is almost wore off them. We used to slide down the ditch banks with them in the winter.
The things all of us should have saved.
Tom