Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Viva Knievel

Evel Knievel
1973:
I'm laying on the floor, clutching a pillow, wide eyes glued to the tv screen.
Who doesn't remember holding their breath when this dare devil was suspended mid-air above all those buses?
Along with my brothers, he was the reason I wanted to ride motorcycles, build ramps, learn to pop wheelies and wear stars and striped leather. And He, I'm sure was also what inspired more than a few bruises on my arms and legs in the weeks that followed those televised jumps. (I don't recall the disclaimer "don't try this at home)."

Anyway, as you probably know...
another American Icon has passed away.
I heard he made peace with "the spirit in the sky."

Mr. Knievel,
Thanks for making me hold my
breath with anticipation and wonder.Directions to here:

Remember how he used to
ride right up to the edge of the jump and stop...look...and then roll back down?
You will feel like a kid again,
I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my dad said that Evel Knievel once pumped gas at the old 'grandma's restaurant' on rt 2 and 65
-Cori