Friday, February 08, 2008

Flashback Friday...Our Circle of Strength and Love

This week.

It will forever remind me of the glue that began and continues to hold our family together.

Mom and Dad.

We speak of their strength and know that our circle of love started and grew from their lives.
It was their influence that made us the people we are today. It shaped our morals and instilled in us a love: for God, for them and for each other.

I wrote yesterday of mom's great desire to live and fight the good fight;
and yes, Mike, even as I typed out my story about talking to Levi about his great-grandma, I also thought I could have told him about the other fighter, who at such a young age endured horrors unspeakable and survived, never forgetting how lucky he was to be alive.

It was their faith, their spirit, their genes, who they were.
And we are the benefactors.

But listen.

It was because of you too.

Someone, and I can't remember who, once told me that mom had said that if she lived to see her kids (us 6) graduate from high school, she would be happy. I thought, really? It seemed like such a small goal, seeing that I drove her to several of her GRAND children's graduation ceremonies. (Hence, why I was so determined to get that picture of your kid with mom and dad).

Yes, my family.
Look at this picture...it was also, because of you.

Each and every one of you is what gave her the will to fight so hard to live.
And I know that these days, Dad might often seem somewhat lost...but now and then, I see that will to fight in Dad's when he focuses in and recognizes a face he knows and loves.

Yes, they were the original glue that started this circle that held us together.
But as the Good Book says...they reaped what they sowed.
They sowed love and strength to us and in the end...they gathered and still gather love and strength to run the race to the end.

This week.

It will forever remind me of the glue that began and continues to hold our family together.

Directions to here:
We are so dang blessed!

5 comments:

Big Papa said...

Amen, Amen, Amen.

Anonymous said...

Loved your posts, Nancy, you are so talented in words and images. About that man...I am lucky to be able to take Jacinda to see Dad every week. She does bring a smile to his face and to the other residents as she bounces a ball around or dances to their music. It makes the time sitting with Dad easier....because he is not easy to visit. You talk to him, without much two way conversation. But I know that he knows us...please if you drive by...just stop in and let him see your familiar face. Take him a milkshake or a chocolate milk. He'll smile about that. It's getting harder to get him out on Sunday's...with the weather and his limited mobility. Even if it's only for five minutes..he likes seeing someone he recognizes. I know he wasn't there for a lot of our activities but he did provide us a home and plenty to eat (even though we might have to had cut out the spots!) he deserves a few minutes of your time now. Thanks for listening. Love you all, Susie

Anonymous said...

And I do remember that day...that Tuesday...Feb. 9th. One of the hardest days of my live...when Verna came to the church and told me that mom was gone...calling all of you and telling you with the worst news I could imagine. I've never gotten over her dying by herself. I think she knew when she left for Fla. that that would happen. She wanted to spare us that pain. But I also remember how we all came together...shared our memories with Ken...sang together!...nancy's talk...and forming our circle around her casket and prayed that we would get through this...as we have all faced obstacles in our lives since then... and with her strength...our family...and lots of prayers have been blessed with full and abundant lives. Love to you Mom and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to all her grand and great grand children from her!

nancy said...

ah, susie...
now it's my turn for tears...
I already shed a few in writing the post...but your comments made me shed some more : )
All in a good way.

Anonymous said...

and, may i add?
she never made me feel any less than a daughter-in-law :)
steph <><