Saturday, March 24, 2007

highway 41...Day 3...hot shots


Well, apparently I wasn't kidding when I said I was searching for pre-disney Florida. Long about Nashville, not only was I getting hot shots on my road cam, but it was getting a little hot as well, so I flipped on the air, only to find out that the Vic said if it's pre-disney you want...pre-disney...a.k.a no air conditioning you get! After several calls to "OnStar Mechanic Mike, how may I help you?" brother, I was unsuccessful at my first attempt to charge the air myself. However, I think it was due to a faulty product...not me, of course. Spent the day going south down 41 with a few side trips on places on the map that had names and memories I couldn't resist visiting. Then raced across the state to get to Orlando to meet up with my hosts for the night. Here are the highlights and hot shots (and I do mean hot as in heat hot, hot) !!
Favorite hot motel sign of the day

Favorite hot motel of the day, complete with the classic Florida blue tiled pool. I met the owner of this motel and thanked her for keeping it "original" and making it look so retro-ly fabulous. She said "you're welcome." She also wanted me to know that it is the only "american" owned and operated motel in Silver Springs. She also said that someone at disney is interested in kicking some money in to help Silver Springs keep going...I say, 'bout time, Mr. Disney.
Favorite pre-disney Florida attraction of the day.

Ah, the memory of blue tile, white sheets and Alanis singing on the tv.

I need a sunburn.



Back home again!


This is all that's left of Romeo.
Just like in art and history, the map atlas imitates life, as Juliette who used to be up the road from her Romeo, is now off the map and no where to be found. Sigh.

Looking back on the past...as I roll into Orlando and CCC's headquarters to meet my friends for the night.
Friends I really love...and love to spend time with...Tim and Peggi Bontekoe, from old Paragon days..









Tim and Peggi now work for the main man at Crusade, well not THE main man, but the main man, as in CCC's new president. Here they and Heidi Hodges (another blast from the past) are on the studio set of the main man's office.




Here I am pretending to be the main man, "people, it's harvest time." But as you see, square peg, round hole as ever!


Spent the rest of the evening at the Bontekoes with good food and good friends.

No comments: