Tuesday, March 27, 2007

highway 41...Day 5...bobble and the mermaids!


Here it is Folks!


It's survived the condo-ization of Florida.
It's 70 years old.
It pre-dates Mickey
It's Florida Kitsch at it's best.
It's the Mermaid show at Weekie Wachee.










If I remember my mom's story I think the last time I was at Weekie Wachee...was 1964 before I was born, as in the womb. Or maybe I made that story up? I'm not sure, but my siblings had seen the show and it's taken me 42 years, but I finally took it in...and yes, it was all I thought it would be !I'll tell you, these girls are "in shape" as Tim in Orlando told me...and not only are they in shape, but they are really talented and great athletes. And the smallness of the place is charming and it has Mom and Pop style integrity. For example, the performers (mermaids) not only give the performance, but also clean the theatre after the show. And I'm not making this up, I have video to prove it, the mermaids are "proud to be americans" and they prove it by flying the stars and stripes...need I remind you they perform underwater? You get the picture?

Yes, Weekie Wachee may be a small park and it may be struggling to survive in the shadow the new Florida, but it is ALL heart and I loved it.










A retired mermaid serves up popcorn and Mermaid Carlie serves up Florida traditional Kitsch. Ex-mermaids still come back for special shows and reunions of the "Soroity of Sirens."





Bobble and the iguana at the animal show. Mermaid Kerri on dry land.


















How Mermaids move on dry land.


Me and Mermaid Nikki.

Directions to here:

Weekie Wachee is Roadside Americana at its best.
But like many other Roadside Attractions, they are in trouble. Money is not covering their expenses and repairs needed on the underground springs and theater. This will be a big year for them as their fate will be decided at the end of the year. For more history and information on the "save our tails" campaign go here: http://mermaid.weekiwachee.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it was 10 years ago 96-97? when we took them there...mike said he thinks they were on their last legs-tails when we were down there!!!
verna <>< + we'll have to send you a few pics