Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What we did right....

One thing that did work out on my Christmas List was the Grab Bag and our collective Family Christmas Gift.

I broke tradition this year and instead of the girl/boy Grab bag, I asked each family member to just show up with ten dollars in hand.

We pooled those dollars together to send to a great organization called Honor Flight Network, an organization that is committed to flying, free of charge, World War II veterans to Washington D.C. to visit and see their memorial.

Here is a short video about what Honor Flight does:

The Indiana Honor Flight says that it takes $360.00 to fly one veteran to the memorial.

Thanks to the generosity of my family we overshot that with a collective donation of $500.00!
Merry Christmas to the Greatest Generation
from the sons and daughters of
Sergeant Robert Ray Vandercar.
Our gift was given in memory of our Dad.

I didn't want to take away the fun of the grab bag and I didn't want to send everyone home
empty handed; it WAS Christmas after all.
Fortunately for us all, I am Bob Vandercar's daughter and have hoarding tendancies...so I backed up the car to my apartment and loaded up boxes of books, dvds and cds that I have rescued from the the dumpster and stockpiled over the year. There was also a box of stuff and one very heavy toolbox from the back of Dad's wagon.
I was going to have the regular take turns grab bag style...but I quickly realized that if you put a room full of Vandercar's together with a pile of books and ask them to make a quick decision, we could have been there 'til midnight...so we just had a free for all shopping spree. The littles got to pick for free.
Joe scores Bob's belt, Florida Fishing Gear and Garth...a Country Boy will survive.

I think everyone got to take home at least one thing, if not twenty (again, we ARE Vandercars and can't pass up free stuff) and Sandy breathed a sigh of relief to see it all leave her garage at the end of the day!

When you get a moment, here's another video that captures why I am so glad that we got to take Dad to the memorial and why Honor Flight Network is such a cool thing.

Thank you
for giving and for making this a success!

Directions to here:
So, what did you pick out and have you watched, read or listened to it yet?
Remember I'll try to replace dvds or cds that won't play. There may have been a reason they were in the trash!

6 comments:

momv <>< + said...

tears flowin..........i too am so glad and feel so blessed that we were able to go there with your dad and give him the honor due him, thanks nancy for all you do for this family we love you too
verna <>< +

Anonymous said...

i chose the secret life of bees as my grab bag choice. i took it with me to aruba, read it and then of course recycled it! no clutter is my motto

smv

Hosh said...

I chose the "American Physco" dvd. It was deffinetly a messed up movie and I saw batman's [Christian Bale] butt wayyyy too many times. I'm going to have to watch The Dark Knight just to reiterate why I like him.

Nance, a movie I think you may like is 500 Days of Summer. Kind of a chick flick but I really liked it.

james and michele said...

i second 500 days of summer. we just watched that too!

we've read eliza a couple books she got. i don't think we watched any of the movies we got yet though. too many!

Anonymous said...

You will be happy to know that Levi has a new tradition of watching Cars every morning at 5 or 5:30. Can't believe we never bought it for him! The bad part is it always ends right when Emma is supposed to be getting ready for school. She gets a bit distracted. Thanks Nance!

Luke

queenie said...

lovin' it. . . . what a story. What a heritage!