Friday, May 21, 2010

Flashback Friday....Thobut.

One of the wonders of facebook is connecting on a daily basis with friends who were other wise lost due to time and distance away from each other.

I've reconnected with Beth (Scheidt) Carver and the other day she had a post about watching a show where they were serving goulash. She asked does anyone else remember their mom serving goulash and from her disgusted tone, I got the impression that the younger Beth didn't care for her mom's goulash.

It got me thinking to when my mom would make goulash. She always called it "Thobut."

I can't remember exactly how the name came about, but it seems she would tell the story of being young and eating at an Aunt's house. Either Aunt Jess or Aunt Helen Doyle's. I'm pretty sure it was Aunt Jess. They were having goulash. Mom told me that she wanted a second helping and could not remember what it was called. Somehow she said something like, "I don't know what it's called tho, but please pass..." and all Aunt Jess heard was "thobut" and ever on since then, goulash was called Thobut.

Directions to here:
Barb, does Aunt Mary have the scoop on what I may be missing from this story?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard this story, but it's a good one! Thanks for sharing -