Thursday, March 13, 2008

Highway 41...Day 9...Georgia on My Mind











Well...
since the last two vacation/road trips I've scheduled time off for have not happened and I'm currently completely overwhelmed by the "furniture moving project" I've taken on, I'll revisit last years 41 trip since I never managed to get back home in blogging time. Besides, the pictures from Georgia and Tennessee are my favorite of the whole trip.

The last 41 post had me driving the entire east coast from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida.
I woke up at the Gator Lodge (so totally Florida) and packed up and headed for the border.
Mom and Pop seemed to be the theme for the day.
Restaurants and small businesses caught my eye all day.
Well, that and matchbox trucks on tops of buildings.
This is the last (going south)/first (going north) house in Georgia. Love the deco-ness.
Trade mark Georgia: Peaches, Barbeque and Gone with the Wind Train Stations:










Spent some time here and came away with the silver propane rocket thing featured in the back of the wagon "whatta ya gonna do with that" post.
Finally! Found the elusive chicken...that I had been looking for the whole trip.
Heidi had posed by this sign back in 1997 and I was beginning to think it had gone the way of so many other beloveds...but somewhere north of Atlanta it was still clucking.
Really, still pics do not do justice as the beak moves and the eyes roll around. God bless Kentucky fried chicken for keeping this monster of a sign going.
I must upload the video sometime.

And it took a long time, but I finally found the right sign for vacancy and stopped for the night.

No comments: