Saturday, September 25, 2010

Turner Trip....Day One

When it comes to me and traveling,
I should know better than to say certain things out loud.
Like:

1. WHEN I am going to leave for a vacation where driving is involved and
2. That I am going to DRIVE STRAIGHT THRU to my destination.

ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.

yeah, you get the picture.

So, the daylight portion of my first day on the road was spent running errands and packing the car.
At dusk (and 7 hours later than the "WHEN" I had said out loud), I finally pulled out on Main Street and headed South with "The Girl" set to lead me down to Pawleys Island, South Carolina.

Here's the first shot of the trip: A drive by shooting on the Interstate.
These ponies reminded me of the scene in "About Schmidt" where Warren and the cow share a solemn moment on the road.

After this, I pretty much did drive straight with no stops all night.
I passed Corbin KY and thought about stopping at Elmer's house
(where our Range Line church group did the house repair mission back in July).
I was curious to see if the siding I put up had blown away!
But I stayed the course and kept driving.

I did however, take a side swipe thru Corbin to find The Colonel's original cafe.


I figured since I was going to spend a week with the Sanders cousins, it was appropriate to stop and add this sign to my collection:










My trusty mom and pop motel guide told me that there was a motel in Williamsburg KY and I pressed on until I saw this beautiful site:

The only thing better than a neon motel sign,
is a sign that can be shot from the back.

Here's where I ate the best bacon, egg and cheese sandwich I've ever had:and the waitress called me, "Sweetie."

Here's what people do for fun in "them there hills of Kentucky."
And here's A Room with a View
that probably only I would request and love as much as I do.

It's gonna be a good trip!
Directions to here:

Main Street to Meridian
to I-65 South to I-64 to I-75
Be a good driver and obey The Girl.

No comments: