Thursday, October 19, 2006

10.19.o6...My friend, Jimmy

After the Covered Bridge Festival, I rushed back to Indy to go to a memorial service for my friend, Jimmy Bongard.
I met Jimmy 14 years ago when I moved to Indianapolis. He was the "big" brother to one of my co-workers, Dan. He lived with Dan and his family and as I got to know the Bongards...I not only realized that they were a fun-loving special family...but that Jimmy was a part of what made them so accepting, caring, full of fun, giving and special. In every of the many hours I spent hanging out with the Bongards, Jimmy was always there...sometimes the center of attention or a story or an antic, but more often just there, in the background, bright eyes, smiling, laughing, taking it all in, just happy to be around. I spent a few weekends staying at the house with Jimmy while the family was away. In those times I learned that if given your attention, Jimmy was a great story teller. Jimmy loved Elvis. Jimmy loved sports and especially bowling. Jimmy loved Jesus...and Jimmy loved to dance and was quite good too. A remarkable thing about Jimmy was, he could remember your birthday (in a rainman like way)...even if you only told him once.
Jimmy intriqued me. He made me smile. He made me laugh. I had never known anyone with downs syndrome and he touched my heart with his childlike ways...but could also perplex everyone around him with his ability to scheme up ways to get an extra cookie or 15 minutes off his bedtime.
He was, Jimmy.

We were given the chance to say a few words at the memorial. I knew the Bongards would not be offended by the humor I used to describe Jimmy. They are like that. I put it simply. "You know, 14 years ago, before I met Jimmy, if there existed such a thing as match.com or eharmony.com...and I was so inclined to meet my match...and I came across a personal ad that said: loves Elvis and bowling, loves Jesus and loves to dance. And will always remember your birthday...and I answered the ad...who knows, Jimmy and I may have been a perfect match."
You are loved, dear Jimmy, and will be remembered and missed.

No comments: