Friday, May 02, 2008

Flashback Friday...Flower Power...Hour

Gather 'round readers, it's time for
Flower Power Hour.
Or how I absorbed whatever coolness I had as a child.

All this talk and thinking about "Hair" and the Age of Aquarius this week has made me think of phrases like:
"Flower Power" and "Make Love, not War" and "Can ya dig it" and "Keep on Truckin"

Even tho I don't remember much about living with most of my siblings, I do know that I paid very close attention to what was worn, listened to and said by each and everyone of them.
I'm pretty sure I owe my deep love for 60's and 70's, Crimson and Clover, over and over type rock 'n roll, to this group:
They are also responsible for my appreciation and wanting so bad to have my very own, fringe jacket, peace signs, jean jacket, head bands, black lights and poster collection. To this very day, I have things that they discarded, out grew or that I just plain swiped from them while they weren't looking.

Now, I do have memories of each of my brothers and sisters and their passing of the cool down to my impressionable eyes...but I will highlight one and a one place who lingered.

I remember sharing a room with my sister, Patty, which I'm sure I liked more than she did.
But when Dave moved to the basement, which was it's own wonderland for me, Patty and I got our own rooms.
Sometime in high school, she redecorated her room for a Home Economics class. I mean from floor to ceiling remodel.
Green.
No, not Green,
70's Green.
It became the coolest place I knew of and she was the coolest person I knew.
I mean, Janet and Susie were cool, I'm sure. But with Patty, I was old enough to pay attention and cared enough by then to watch...and take tips.
I mean, she was a cheerleader. She had a letter sweater. She put powder on the tile floor and could do the splits. She wore penny loafers. She had long hair. (which I demanded before a haircut in 3rd grade..."I want it to grow like Patty's").
I used to sneak into her room and listen to The Carpenters, Three Dog Night, Bread and Grand Funk Railroad on the record player with the circle speakers.
Here's what the room looked like pre-remodel:
I don't have a pic from when she first did the room remodel, but that doesn't matter much; because after she moved out, I moved into her room, and because I thought she was way cool, I changed nothing.
The room during middle school
Sure a few posters came down and my favorite bands went up...but everything pretty much stayed the same.
The room during High School (note the stop sign is back)
Until it went out of date in the mid 80's, but even then it stayed the same.
And then came the retro look of the 90's and it was back in date.

And then it went out again and then, well, you know me and my sentimental self well enough to know that by the turn of the millennium, I couldn't have changed it even if I wanted to.


Flower Power ~ Can ya dig it? ~ Keep on Truckin!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you and I are a lot a like.

And everything about this post was cool.

I'd show you pictures of my sisters room if I had them, you would be impressed. Our Mom let them paint graffiti on the walls wow.

and those CLASSIC stuffed animals, so cool.

and I like how your defying gravity in the one picture.

We would have gotten along well together, had we had the chance.

I would only add a comment about Mikes van, and Eldens green pickup.

OK, we are old enough to ask now... just what went on in that van?!?

Anonymous said...

hey, patty, did i help paint that GREEN room? hippy days steph <><

Big Papa said...

Ed,

I could write a book with stories of what went on in that van!! but I'm sorry I don't think I want to publish it on here.

Anonymous said...

i spy something irish in that last picture. by the tv, a big shamrock. what is it?!

Anonymous said...

shel do you recognize the headboard? mom

Anonymous said...

now that i turn around i do! (yes i am being lazy in bed with my laptop)