Friday, May 23, 2008

Flashback Friday...Following the Flag



I don't have a picture.
I don't have anything but a memory for this Flashback Friday.
I don't ever remember asking why or what for.
I don't know how long he did it or what year he started or what year was his last.
I don't remember what he said or didn't say.
I don't remember if he volunteered or if someone asked or told him to do it.
I don't even remember if it was actually Memorial Day in May or Veteran's Day in November.
I don't ever remember asking why.

But I do remember that one day a year, I got in the car with Dad and went to the surrounding cemeteries and followed him around, as he placed a small flag on every grave that had a person who had served in the military.

I don't remember if it was only for those who died in service or for every veteran.
I don't remember if the flags were ours or the VFW's or the Legions.
I don't remember if he knew where each one should go or if he followed a map.


But I do remember that I could tell it meant something to him.
And in turn and over time it came to mean something to me and the time spent with him walking that day taught me more than any textbook or teacher could tell me about service and quiet dedication and respect.
Now, I'm sure that there were years that I didn't want to go or help or was too cool for it all; but it remains one of my favorite memories of time spent with my Dad.



Directions to here:
Here's a great page on Memorial Day.

9 comments:

Big Papa said...

Lest we never forget.

Thanks Nancy,

Big Papa said...

I don't know how old I was the first couple times we went to help Dad put the flags out. I do remember asking many of the same questions but can't remember the answers.

The Farm said...

I think Claude Craft used to put the flags out and Dad took over for him.? Don't think there was ever a list...he just knew. I'm going to go and put a flag on Uncle Pete's for him! We played the dvd "Before You Go" in church today. THANK YOU...THANK YOU...TO ALL WHO SERVED!

nancy said...

since I wrote this post...dad has passed away.

we found a hand drawn map of one of the graveyards in his dresser.

I wonder if anyone has taken this task over? Is it still being done?

Emily Cook said...

This is beautiful nancy.
I think i'll point my bloggy readers here on monday.

The Farm said...

Yes...the flags were there yesterday...

The Farm said...

Yes...the flags were there yesterday...

Emily Cook said...

love this and sharing today!

Remembering with you!

Emily

Anonymous said...

Thank you!