Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Fixing Vandercar - Concept Development

Every show that we watch on the television goes thru several steps before it makes it to TV. The show goes from the Big Idea to concept development to the pitch to the production and finally the presentation to its audience.

I am getting ready to air episode one of Fixing Vandercar, but thought I would give you a little background first.

As you read in the last post, Sandy and I ARE related but are very different from each other. 

We both have definite likes and definite quirks.

We are both very different people, but have similar issues. (think o.c.d. here).
I can pull on my sleeve and she knows exactly the feeling I'm having: "it's too tight," or "it's touching me."

After listening to Sandy state her opinion over the years, I've learned that there are certain topics that she is usually almost always right about.

For instance:
Certain food combinations:
If she tells you to eat two things together...no matter how bizarre, it's usually very good.

Shopping:
She once was shopping with me for an emergency wardrobe crisis and picked out a pair of pants for me in no time flat AND they fit AND I liked them. That NEVER happens to me.

So, when I got ready for the Christmas Eve service this past year and realized that I packed the sweater that I meant to leave at home and left at home the sweater I meant to bring, Sandy noticed right away that I was having an issue with my clothes. It was an okay sweater, but it was
1. touching me...and
2. I didn't like the way it looked with the pants I had. and
3. Blah, blah, blah.... 
The issue with the sweater made me not like the way my hair was and my shoes and it reminded me that my glasses felt like they were giving me a headache and that I didn't like my coat cause it was making me feel static clingy...and so on and so on.

Then I looked at Dave Vandercar.
And thought, He's Bob Vandercar's son, how does he not have all these issues?
Dave always looks very well put together and very comfortable.
And then I said "ah, hah. He has Sandy." 

I was in the car with them when I figured all this out and I got the big idea for a reality show and right there developed the concept and gave the pitch for the show to Sandy.
I told her, I need Fixing Nancy advice....and before we drove the country block that it takes to get to church, we had extended it to the several topics and the whole family and named the show:
Fixing Vandercar.

No comments: