Friday, October 17, 2008

Flashback Friday...The Roots of Roadside Americana

It was 8 or 9 or maybe even 10 years ago.
I really even remember who I was talking to.
But, I was telling them about growing up behind the Log Cabin and how it was a gas station and a "convenience" store before there were convenience stores. I told them about the fruit market and fruit night and about all the cast of characters that stopped and shopped on a daily basis. I told them about the cokes and penny candy and filling the pop machines and the tin coke signs.
The person listened attentively and then said, "so that must be where you got your love for signs and Roadside Americana?"
Now, I know that it is hard to believe and that the connection is extremely obvious, but up to that point, I had honestly never made the connection.
Really. I'm not kidding.
I don't know why or how I missed it, but it was like a light bulb went on.
"Yeah, I guess so," is all I could say as I shook my head hiding the oh so obvious, "ah hah" moment.
And to this day, it remains my favorite
Roadside Americana Spot:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats hilarious. Can't see the forest for the trees, ehe?

The log cabin was one of my favorite roadside America spots too. Ive told the bullet hole through the pizza oven story a dozen times. (At least my version of it.. :) )

Anonymous said...

That picture holds one of my favorite memories...I remember driving down rt. 2 hovering over the front seat, eyeballs glued to the road in front of me, anxiously waiting to be the first to catch a glimpse of the log cabin. When it came into site, Steve and I bounced all over the back seat yelling and shouting, ready to jump out of the car, sometimes before it even came to a complete stop. Lots of memories...

Barb