Sunday, March 08, 2009

In Therapy

I haven't told anyone, but I've been in therapy for awhile now.

I have an addiction that started at a young age.
Was enabled all along by my enviornment.
And for years when I was younger in my teens, twenties and about mid way into my thirties, I could indulge it and dodge the consequences.

But there comes a time when you have to face the music and deal with it.

For about a year, I've been actively trying to break this addiction.
I've sought out alternatives and although I haven't seen much in the way of results, I have to believe that my choices are making a difference.

The therapy I'm undergoing is:













Chip Replacement Therapy.


That's right.

Chips.

Anything crunchy and salty.
Jays, Fritos, Munchies, Ripples (have ridges), Pringles, Pringles, Pringles, tortilla, pretzels, cheeseballs, cheetos, cheese pones, you name it, I rarely meet a chip I don't like.

But since I've become obese (you see) and my ankles and legs swell, I figured it was time to admit it and get into therapy.

I have to admit I have not gone cold turkey. I mean I am a product of the Log Cabin Service Station after all.
But with baby steps, for the last year, I've tried to swear off the fried.
I've switched over to Baked and try to only buy chips made from vegetables and especially with no hydrogentated corn seed oil that Dr. Oz gets so hyper over. I also have to admit that I still buy Pringles. But only if they are on sale; and they have to be under $1.00. And any chips that I may encounter at your house or Sunday Dinner (or any food at your house or Sunday Dinner) gets an automatic pass from the therapy routine.

And, like a good patient, I'm doing my homework.
I realize if I put something else that's crunchy and not sweet on my plate, I eat less chips. So I'm on a quest to discover the world of vegetables and spices.


So on Friday, I washed and cut up a whole bunch of radishes.
The same radishes that I told my mom and my dad and my grandma Fern that I did not like.

I tried them...and I said out loud to all three of them:
"You were right. Radishes are good."

Now, if i could only find the little salt well of Grandma Fern's to go with them!


Directions to here:
I'm open for your Chip Replacement Therapy suggestions.

5 comments:

momv <>< + said...

nanc, i could be in therapy with you! i'll take salt over sweet any day, of course that could be why i have high blood pressure :(

vande2 said...

I hope I never have to start cake replacement therapy. I'd become a runner before I let that happen!

nancy said...

wait til you're over 40 !!

Patty said...

I need chip and sweet therapy. Might as well do coke therapy too!!
Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Since you brought up the subject,Carol has been asking me for years what is cheese pones (I call them, probably incorrectly cheese pome). She says they are Cheese Puffs and she has never heard of cheese pone. I new I wasn't nuts and now that you brought it up maybe you or some of the other family can shed light on the origin of the name.