Friday, June 07, 2013

Flashback Friday....hearts flying away



Went on an airport run on last Monday morning to meet up with Patty and Shelby and to send her off into her wild blue future.

Shelby is spending the summer on the other side of the world in a month long language study program in the African country of Tanzania.


There was traffic, so not a lot of time to talk.

Just enough time to check and double check and triple check bags and papers. Shelby was her calm and positive self, flashing that great smile while taking off to conquer the world.
And I have to say Patty was pretty calm and brave considering her "baby" was leaving the country.

As I watched Patty's heart go thru security and fly away into the blue sky....



I couldn't help but think of another airport goodbye 26 years ago.

Leaving for Europe...The sisters swoop in at the last minute to help get me out the door.
 Last picture at home before leaving HOME.
 
Mom & Dad at the airport
Chris (Ball State friend...and then, future Carmel roommate) came along to bid me farewell.

Out to "change the world" stars in my eyes

last American meal for awhile...pizza of course

 Me, mom and dad and our Airport Shuttle Driver : )
Reality hits...
The Airport Goodbye
(in the land before email, cell phones, calling cards and texting)
....into the Great Wide Open

Directions to here:

Yes, I see those jeans...but don't you judge me...it was 26 years ago!!!!
Twenty-six, how did THAT happen?
Cori just commented on facebook that she has a memory of me coming back from some place far away...so maybe I'll have to do a flashback friday for the rest of the trip/year.

In the meantime....
Shelby has landed and is now with her host family.
She has a blog set up and hopefully will be keeping us posted....

God's speed Shelby Jade!


No comments: