Friday, January 30, 2009

Flashback Friday...Our Friend and Cousin

Louetta Childress Potter
1925-2009

For the last ten years, whenever I would see Louetta Potter, my eyes would get a little misty and my heart would grow very tender.
It may have had something to do with the way she would break out in with a big smile and say "oh Nancy, how are you?" while reaching out her hand. It may have been because I've always liked and enjoyed visiting with Louetta and Bud. But another reason is, whenever I see Louetta, I'm very aware of my mom's memory and presence.

It's probably because of the many telephone conversations I heard while growing up. Or the laughter, bordering on girlish giggles, I heard when they were told stories on each other. Or the many, many cards and notes I read that they exchanged over the years. But most of all that when they got together, no matter if they were talking about the good old days or friends or their kids or family, or church, or Grange, or health concerns, or vacations or simply just sharing a recipe, they had the special bond that told me they had been and were life-long school girl friends.
Louetta was also related to Dad.
Their mothers were sisters. They shared the same childhood memories, the same grandparents, the same family reunions, the same aunts and uncles. And believe me as Janet and I tried to place who belonged to who...it is a family tree that would make Dave go cross-eyed.
Louetta passed away last Thursday.
And as I heard the news, I was sorry.
Sorry to see her go.
Sorry that I won't see that welcoming smile and quick laugh.
Sorry that I they slipped by me at Dad's funeral and I didn't get to say hello.
Sorry that I didn't hear more stories about her life, her family and her friends.

One of my favorite memories of her is, of she and Bud at Dad's 80th birthday party. They were getting ready to leave and I stopped them before they got in the car. I said, "Oh don't go yet, I need a picture of you two!" Louetta laughed and said "of us together?" "Yes, you two together," I said. She put her arm around Bud and said "Take a picture of me and my lover!"
They were lovers for 62 years.
(They were married one week before my mom and dad).
They have a beautiful family.
She was my dad's cousin.
She was my mom's friend.
I will miss her.

2 comments:

Big Papa said...

Nice post Nancy, I'm sure Dave wouldn't be the only one confused if when you start tracing the family tree on that side. I can't remember what it was but it seems I remember an odd relationship in there with Grandma Fern, Aunt Gladys, and Aunt Lulu. We'll have to go through that again sometime.
Anyways another reason I'm commenting is to ask who the girl is on the right hand side of the black & white picture that looks like it was taken in front of the old high school. I'm guessing Aunt Gladys.

nancy said...

You guessed right!