Saturday, September 15, 2007

Flashback Friday...66 in the Mercedes

SEVEN
years ago I delivered a Mercedes to California via Rt. 66.
This is one of the first shots I took in Cicero, IL. Since my current address is on Rt. 66 (for the weekend), I thought I'd share the moment my quest for "muffler men" came into existence.
The "Hot Dog" man has since been moved to Atlanta, IL as Bunyon's Hot Dog shop closed up after being in business for 50+ years.

And here's a sad update on another 60+ year old Rt. 66 south Chicago icon which housed the likes of Glen Miller and the rock band Chicago:
Then:












Now:













The good news is the sign is still standing:The well is still intact (yes, there really is a well and I suppose it's seen lots of wishing):And the city seems interested in making some type of historic landmark (66 museum) on part of the property, along with commerical development, of course.

Directions to here:
Go here for more on Muffler Men
and for more on The Wishing Well Motel
and stay tuned for more about a future trip across country...to deliver another car. Those of you Lil' David called the other night from the road...know what I'm talking about!

No comments: