Friday, July 21, 2006

Thursday's unplanned road...

A road I never planned on taking, led me to the graveside service of my dear friend, Jolene Miller.

She was killed Friday night in a car accident, only three blocks away from the safety of home.

Jolene. Kind friend, sweet girl.

Jolene worked with me at the bookstore and had only recently left to take another job. There are those who move on from the store and I do miss them when I think about them..but Jolene, I missed everyday. The quality of my bookstore days changed after she left…and I was aware of her absence everyday.

She was a remarkable person...as sweet as all the many desserts she made for each of us on our birthdays. Lovable, kind, generous, caring, funny, flirtatious (in an endearing way), energetic…the list of words does no justice to describe her. She was an animated storyteller and an even better listener. She patiently listened to my random thoughts, observations and stream of consciousness storytelling and accepted all my ramblings about my likes and dislikes from everything from “the right” sofa to sweet snack, salty snack…coke rituals. She accepted my quirkiness and made me feel loved. We both shared a fierce love for our families and the joys and cares of being sisters and aunts. She was loyal to her friends. She had an infectious laugh and a beautiful smile.

It does not seem real that her life is over at 23 years old. I picture her around the corner, up at the register, across the table over lunch or one hundred other places…but not gone from us.

And I have asked “why” over and over this week. But I have a feeling that even if God explained it and answered all my questions…it still wouldn’t be good enough. Because what I really want is for her to have made it home. Made it thru to another day. Made it home to visit her family and on to the next year and year after that…On to the next time we saw each other and hugged and talked and laughed together…and made more plans to see each other again….and again…and again.

Jolene…you are my kind friend…sweet girl… I love you dearly... and will miss you greatly.



directions to here: SR 23 to I-80 to SR 20...look up to heaven and weep

1 comment:

vande2 said...

Love you, Nance. How blessed you and Jolene were to have known one another for a short while. Prayers. :)