Thursday, March 29, 2007

Highway 41...Day 6...A Sentimental journey

Even tho it took most of the day to wind my way down to Estero and Bonita Beach...I finally made it to where Mom and Dad spent their winters. It's the first time I've been here without either of them...and sunset found me at their favorite beach and quite sentimental and meloncholy in a beautiful sort of way (the same effect sunsets have on me).

I miss them.

Favorite sites of the day:
Outside my door at the Sundial Motel, I see a permanet resident that looks like a long lost relative. At check out, I chat it up with the owner and borrow a vintage post card of the place and create a page of the the upcoming "then and now" book:
The Sundial Motel (formerly The Holiday) then and now.

And more fabulous roadside art:












The pavement that I dropped the camera on...fortunatly it seems to be unharmed.






In Fort Meyers I see one of the kitschiest motels yet. Complete with every lawn ornament and symbol known to vintage Florida.
People, I'm telling you....God is in the kitsch.

This fabulous landmark, lets me know I'm in Estero and tells me it's almost time to turn right. Believe me, it's the only thing that looks familiar as Estero has turned into one continuous strip mall. : (
Mariner's Cove
10 m.p.h. ~ Bingo at the hall. ~ 7:30 am coffee clutch ~ Tackle boxes and fishermen ~ Three wheeled bikes ~ Evening card games ~ Boat docks ~ Orange blossom scent in the air ~ Lazy days ~ Shuffle board courts.

Mom and Dad's old stomping grounds.

I see them on every corner. I recognize everything, but recognize no one. I stop to see Faith, but she must be out and about. I take a drive by shot of their old trailer, but later realize I think I'm one lot off.

I take one last spin around and drive out...off to drown my sentimentalness in the ocean.

Directions to here:

"Remember everything, she said, when only memory remains." (Adam Duritz ~ Counting Crows)

No comments: