Saturday, March 31, 2007

Highway 41...Day 7...Beach Day Sabboth

After sleeping under this awesome neon sign at Conty's (Lit up like Christmas) Motel, where I had the deluxe room with my own patio entrance to the pool (complete with tadpole),I woke up and loaded the car under the daylight version of the awesome sign, planning to head across the Everglades to Deco Miami. I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot to use the wi-fi and that's when it hit me. ROAD WEARINESS. I knew me and the car needed to spend some time apart.I decided to have a shopping, beach day and spent the morning and early afternoon walking around Naples, thrifting, antiquing and trying to get over my grudge against this city. Then in the afternoon, I headed back to Barefoot Beach and laid in the sun, swam in the ocean (salty, yummy) and watched the sunset.










Rested and refreshed, I got back in the car and headed East across Alligator Alley and The Everglades. I knew I would probably not be on this road again, so I took a swing down to Chokoloskee Island, the orginal stomping and fishing waters of the Indiana Farmers.
It was dark and I knew the Anglers Motel was gone, but the old fishing shop is still there with a few of the motel rooms attached. I'm sure I heard the spin of fishing reels, ladies giggles, fish frying and cards slapping on the table as the ocean breeze ran thru my ocean salty hair.


Got into Miami around midnight and hit the end of 41...even tho I knew I would pick it up to go across to South Beach the next day. My mouth started watering as soon as I got to the first stoplight west of Miami as the signs of DECO began to emerge. Old Deco, New Deco, abanoned deco, residential deco, industrial deco even Target Deco. Curves everywhere and my heart rising to say Hallelujah, just like some people do when they see the Grand Canyon! A short drive down the A-1 got me some nice shots of googie motels that have seen their better days, but are fantastic even if the activity in them is quite Miami Vice-ish.And The Seven Seas...Home for the night (or by the hour for some customers).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nanc, i love reading & watching. you just made my day.
steph <><