Friday, January 04, 2008

Flashback Friday...For Auld lang syne, my dear

According to wikipedia.org, “auld lang syne” best translates into modern English as “long, long ago” or “days of long ago.”

Before there were Jerry & Susie's New Year's Eve parties (well at least parties in the shop), there were Bob & Helen's New Year's Eve parties. I remember Dad getting the liquor out and Mom gathering up decks of cards and getting glasses out of the corner cabinet. Bobby Hardy and I would pretend we were reporters and in between listening to WLS' end of the year top songs of the year count down (oh the anticipation of what song would be next), we would interview the quests and record their responses using our trusty PORTable tape recorders with handheld microphones. I always loved knowing that everyone, including us would be staying up late...even past midnight. Even later than Wolfman Jacks midnight special. And there was always a count down to midnight and kisses and hugs in the kitchen.
Here's to auld lang syne...

In my writing on back of photo:
"Mom & Marie at 12:00 new years "76"
(taken with my 110 Instamatic)
Mom's writing on the back of the photo:
"New Year's Eve-1980-81
Ellen, Kay, Marie, Helen J., Bob Hardy"
New Year's Eve 1982
(taken with my brand new Canon AE-1...my 1981 Christmas present from Mom and Dad)

Directions to here:
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

1 comment:

Big Papa said...

Love the pictures. Hard to believe that at the time those pictures were taken we were dealing with kids similar in age to what our Grandkids are now.