Friday, January 25, 2008

Flashback Friday...Yoohoo!

Remembering Grandma Fern

It's been 23 years since Grandma Fern's homegoing.

Yet, if I close my eyes I can see every square inch of the little red house and tell you exactly where each piece of furniture sat, what pictures hung on which walls and what was in every cabinet and drawer.

I can hear her ring the dinner bell and yell "yoo-hoo" or hear her opening the white wooden screen door to invite me in to sit and have a bite to eat.

I can smell and taste sugar popcorn, powdered sugar doughnut men, sugar sandwiches, noodles, grape juice (with sugar added) in little fruit glasses, pies, ground hash and homemade everything.

I remember double solitaire games, the yellow stool, the claw foot tub, the cooler "north room", the green toy box, the silver being polished, the click of the stove/heater coming on and the sound of her voice telling me goodnite when I'd stay the nite in the double bed in the tiny bedroom.

It's been 23 years since Grandma Fern's homegoing, but I remember.
All evidence of time well spent at Grandmas.


Directions to here:
"Yoo-ooh! Come on in and tell me your memories!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember her sitting joshua on the yellow stool and putting milk and cookies in front of him! everytime we went there, you couldn't get away without her offering something to you:) verna <>< +

Anonymous said...

To many memories to list. One in particular was prior to the "DDT" days. We had a gang of outlaws (as in cowboys). For some reason we were stuck on gangs I guess. Anyway one afternoon we put on our gun holsters all loaded with cap guns, donned our cowboy hats and pulled the bandanas over our faces and headed down the trail to rob the little old lady that lived in the house down the driveway. We made it thru the door ok and had her at gun point but she wasn't going easy. When she opened the drawer to get her money out came a rolling pin and she chased us thru the living room to the bedroom, into the north room, past the bathroom, into the kitchen and around again 2 or 3 times. Finally we bolted out the door and back down the trail empty handed. Guess we should have went for the general store, it probably would have been easier.
PS: If I dig far enough back in my museum I think that clawfoot tub is there still waiting for installation in our house.

Anonymous said...

I remember her always giving us circus peanuts! I vaguely remember her, or the inside of her house, I can kind of picture the living room, but everytime I see circus peanuts, I think of her.

I like the picture of her standing at the door, we have that bell haning outside our door!

Luke