Friday, January 21, 2011

Flashback Friday...Who was Chuck?

Here is why I accomplish and complete
NOTHING.

On the Fixing Vandercar front, Sandy gives me a new assignment for my apartment (long story there), to start in my storage space downstairs.

I grab the first box and it is full of slide trays:


This SHOULD be an easy box to get rid of, because they are not my slides.
They are not mom and dad's slides.
They are not your slides.

They are Chuck and Ruth Benbow's slides.

Several days later (since I brought the box upstairs),
and a couple (ahem, four) hours later (that I spent looking at the slides),
and a google search and 100 sites and more hours later,
I found what I think is an address for Chuck and Ruth's son.

But, in all this meandering (and NOT working on the storage space)...
I have more questions than answers.
Mainly...
Who was Chuck Benbow?

Here's what I do know about Chuck.

1. He was a friend of my dads
2. He and my dad could have passed for twins, having the same haircut, body build and wardrobe.


3. He was married to Ruth.
4. He hung out at the Log Cabin
5. He lived in the small house next to Ellis' house.
6. He seemed to care about us kids a lot (from all the pics I can gather).
7. He had a great smile, a sense of humor and a ready laugh.
8. He was a good golf teacher.
9. He and Ruth moved to Florida.
10. According to Ruth's obituary, they had a son Bruce of Naperville and a daughter, Dorothy Gergely of Crown Point.

My main memories of Chuck are of him teaching me to golf.

I am still unclear as to what possessed my dad to by a thirteen year old girl a set of golf clubs, even tho she never expressed an interest in golf. I remember mom smiling and saying..."they are from your dad" and coaxing me out of my bewilderment (I'm sure all I wanted was a Fleetwood Mac record) and on to saying "thank you." I now realize that he was retiring and was making an effort to spend time with me (which now, breaks my heart a little, especially to know, how I scoffed at the idea of golfing).

When it came time to the actual golf outing, it was Chuck that took the lead. He was a member at Curtis Creek in Rensselaer and I can remember looking to dad for instructions and he said Chuck's gonna teach you...cause all I'll do is teach you how to slice it to the right.

And Chuck taught. He seemed to absolutely not mind having a kid who never held a golf club in her life. I'm sure I slowed down his game and enjoyment of the outing, but he never seemed to mind at all. I would give the world to be back on that golf course again, between those two friends. But this silly girl was more interested in driving the cart, then listening what those two had to say, let alone asking the questions that I didn't know then that I would have now.

The other main memory is Dad showing up with several boxes of darkroom equipment. Apparently Chuck and Ruth had found out that I was taking an interest in photography. Chuck showed up with an enlarger, timer, easels and all kinds of darkroom stuff. All they asked was that I use it and enjoy it. He said that Ruth always wanted to have a darkroom, but that the chemicals weren't good for their septic system. I set up a darkroom "behind the shelves" in the basement and spent hours down there. I used it for several years. Some of that equipment is in that storage space.

Which brings me back to the slides.
I am 90% sure that with the darkroom equipment, they gave me a slide projector and this box of slides.
But looking thru the slides, I don't see them in any of them. There are slides labeled "Charlie" with a man that could be Chuck's dad?? and there is one slide of an older lady that looks a little like Ruth. The slides themselves are pretty retro fantastic. Imagine my gasp of delight when I realized that "our trip from our place to utah to..." was taken in a Gold Station Wagon pulling a silver Airstream!

But, not seeing Chuck and Ruth in any of the slides, I'm not sure if they came from The Benbow's or if they came from Dad's "junkyard job." (which is another basement/garage story in and of itself).

I found a listing for Bruce Benbow in Naperville and am thinking of writing to see if he is Chuck's son and if he can confirm the names on the slides as relations. And to see if he is interested in the slides (see Sandy...I'm getting rid of things in my storage space).

But this brings me back to my question.

Who was Chuck Benbow?

Why didn't we know his kids or did we?
How did he know dad?
What did he do for a living?
Where was he from?
Who are his parents?

I would have asked him myself while we were golfing, but I was too busy being a thirteen year old teenager.

Please send answers if you can.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

nancy, i know a terry gergely from crown point?????
steph <><

nancy said...

Steph...do you know her well enough to ask...if she knows Chuck?

Unknown said...

You should have asked me about his son before you spent hours looking for him. I talked with him a couple of years ago...he's married to Linda Hayden's cousin (a Swett) I'll get his address. I guess next you'll be asking about Wacky!!

nancy said...

Susie - didn't I ask you just a few weeks ago if they had kids and where they were?

we were in the kitchen. you were by the sink. maybe you didn't answer. maybe you didn't hear me. maybe I made this up in my head????

nancy said...

the question remains. who was Chuck Benbow?

Big Papa said...

Your description of the Chuck Benbow that we knew is very good. As far as his background though I don't know if i can add much other than that before they moved to the house by Ellis' they lived in a small house in Cedar Lake just off Morse Street near the butcher dentist. I think he might have worked as a plumber or pipefitter at some point in time as I think that the shed that used to sit behind the station garage may have been stocked with pipe fittings that came from Chuck when he sold his house in Cedar Lake.
I'm not sure but I think Chuck and Wacky were friends before they started hanging out at the station. Other than a mutual interest in hunting and fishing, I don't know what brought them to the Log Cabin.
One event I do remember, and I think it was early in this new friendship when the fox-hunters were out one day and Chuck came back with a shotgun hole in the roof of his new station wagon. I think it was Pappy Solomon who had his gun accidentally go off. Everybody was really ragging on Pappy for being so careless, but also determined that Chuck had to be an alright guy because he just took it in stride and laughed off the damage that it did to his car.

Chuck was the guy who one day showed up with a duffle bag full of used sports equipment that he gave to us. I don't know where he got it from but it sure made our day as there was a real batting helmet and a real catchers mit, etc. etc. The type of equipment that we never had before.

I don't know for sure but I'm pretty certain that Chuck was the guy that built the table and assembled the train set and slot car track that I got for Christmas.

Chuck was the guy that gave me a whole tackle box full of lures, fishing equipment and much advice before I went up to Canada fishing.

Chuck was the guy that was often the butt of the jokes as far as the hunter that had a crooked barrel on his gun and couldn't hit anything with it and etc.. He would always take everyone's ribbing and respond with nothing but a smile, giving you the feeling that he really didn't care, he was just happy to be there in the moment.

The memories of him still bring a smile to my face just Chuck Benbow would when ever you would see him.

Hosh said...

Ok first uncle mike the "butcher dentist"??? that sounds like a real life horror story!!

It sounds like Chuck really was a caring guy who took interest, that he didn't have to take, in all of you. Seems like he did little things that made a big impact, no matter how small it seemed at the time

nancy said...

Susie - Wacky is on my list too : )

Mike - you described the Chuck I remember. not a giggler-but he had those smiling eyes and that rolling soft laugh...and always the shrug of the shoulders.

Sounds like he was giving stuff to us kids way before the instant darkroom came to the basement!!

So were his kids older than us? Do any of you remember them being around or had they moved out and on leaving Chuck to "adopt" us?

And does anyone remember if his dad's name was Charlie?

thanks everyone...

nancy said...

oh...
and I remember that table. It hung from the ceiling in the basement, right? It was suspended before I got a chance to play with the slot cars...but I ALWAYS wanted to take it down and set it up again...even if it was just for hotwheels...but Chuck's friend wouldn't let me.

nancy said...

oh...and does anyone know who the other guy is on the left hand side in the pic with everyone on the swing?
you can tell from this picture that we were all fans of Chuck : )

Big Papa said...

Sarah, I know dental practices in the 50s & 60s were nothing like they are now but I'm sure much improved from the turn of the century. I think this guy and his works was still in the previous century, and I mean the 19th. century. I knew every agonizing mile on the route to his office and believe me it was a much more pleasant trip when we would turn left of of Parish to go to Chuck's house instead of right to go to the dentist's office. Maybe I was a big sissy when it came to dental work but I'm pretty sure Aunt Janet & Aunt Susie would agree with me on this one.

Big Papa said...

Nancy,

Looking at the pictures again last night reminded me of another gift from Chuck. He gave me my first Spinning rod & reel along with a practice plug to use to learn to cast with it. Dad always used open face reels for casting. They were too hard for a kid to get the hang of so one day Chuck shows up with this fishing rod with a reel on it about the size of a softball. It was a big old clunker of a thing, but it worked great. I don't know if I ever caught a fish with it but it kept me occupied for a long time practicing with it.

I don't remember anything about Chuck & Ruth's kids. I don't remember them being there when we would visit and don't remember them ever being around. Dad and Chuck were close to the same age so I don't think his kids would have been that much older but the subject of them is still a mystery to me. I don't remember ever meeting or hearing Chuck talk about his parents either.

At first Verna thought that the other guy in the picture on the swing was Uncle Harold, but after blowing it up for a closer look we could see that it wasn't him. I don't know who that is and I have no idea where that picture was even taken. As usual though we it looks like we have something sweet in our hands, taking us one step closer to the "Butcher Dentist"