Friday, October 19, 2007

Flashback Friday...pumpkin time

The Great Pumpkin
I've been seeing wagon loads of pumpkins everywhere from the Hayden farm all the way down the road to Indianapolis. And after seeing Tammy's pics of the kids in the pumpkin patch and hearing about the pumpkin painting at Range Line, I decided to dig into my own pumpkin patch of photos from pumpkins past.
I don't remember having pumpkins at the Log Cabin, but I suppose we did...and this picture proves it.



I do remember that once the grandkids came along, Dad would go out and scratch each kids name in a pumpkin while it was still growing and by the time it was ready to pick the name would be scarred into the pumpkin skin.
Not sure if Dad or Susie made this one for Matt, but it's a fine example of what came out of the pumpkin patch in October.












And as the years went by, there were more names to scratch and
pumpkins to pick. This picture cracks me up!

And just a few weeks ago, I was driving down Clay Street with Sister Susie and what did appear out of the corn, but a red truck pulling a wagon full of pumpkins and one dedicated farmer "papa" Grandpa carrying on the tradition!

Directions to here:
The Story of the Great Pumpkin:
"According to Linus, on Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch he deems the most "sincere". The Great Pumpkin then flies through the air to deliver toys to all the good little children in the world. Apparently, one can cause the Great Pumpkin to pass him or her by merely saying "IF he comes", as opposed to "WHEN he comes", which would appear to convey a lack of faith in the Great Pumpkin."

Personally, I would have to believe that the Great Pumpkin would have to come from our pumpkin patch. What could be more "sincere" than a patch full of pumpkins with names on each pumpkin??!!!
F.Y.I...
If you write pumpkin as many times as I have in this post...it seems like the most ridiculously sounding word ever and you keep thinking you are misspelling it!

No comments: