Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Old Media Tuesdays...aka...You oughta know

So, every Tuesday the stores are filled with new media releases. Music, movies, books. I don't know why it is Tuesday, but for the most part...I can't keep up with it all. But, I am a consumer and as the lead character in High Fidelity put it, "a professional appreciator," so here's my picks for this Tuesday...even tho some are quite older than new releases:
You oughta see:
Heartlands:
I found myself smiling for long stretches of this movie...even during the heartbreakingly tender scenes...cause it's just so...movie moment-esc. And when you see what vehical this guy owns...you'll know why it stole my heart.
Favorite line: when the main character, Colin goes into a biker bar and tells the bartender what he's riding:
Colin: "Honda"
Bartender: "Goldwing?"
Colin: "50"
I smiled very big!

You Oughta Hear:
Eartha Kitt: Down to Eartha
(on vinyl)
This was my first experience of an all Eartha Kitt record. Pulled it out of the dumpster at work...and whatta save! This record was HOT (maybe too hot)...in the 50's...and it's good to know that she is still performing 50 years later at the age of 80!

You oughta read:
Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides

Kirsten was right. She's been telling me to read this book everytime I see her. And I haven't even finished it yet, but it's so well written that I know that even if I hate the story or ending...I will like the book.
That's it for this week.
Have you seen, heard or read any of these. If not, what are YOU seeing, hearing and reading that I oughta know?

3 comments:

vande2 said...

i just saw an Oprah where she talked about this book with her guests who had androgen insensitivity syndrome. (P.C. term for hermaphrodite) It sounded like a very interesting read!

Anonymous said...

Tim McGraw, I'm Already Home.

Some songs shouldn't be allowed to be recorded. I hope and pray you never have to do a video to this song.

Luke

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh luke! i was riding in the car the other day.crying.surprise?????when i heard this song! mom